Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: Best way to do ASCII I/O Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
UpstateMike

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 03 2006 at 13:33 | IP Logged Quote UpstateMike

I would like to send simple ASCII messages back and forth between my Stargate and PowerHome. This would let me pass some data between the two systems so I can combine the hard-wired inputs on the Stargate with TTS and Insteon features of PowerHome.

Is there a function for sending an ASCII string out through a serial port? Can incoming ASCII be parsed to set a PowerHome variable or flag that in turn can be used as a trigger?

Thanks,

-Mike
Back to Top View UpstateMike's Profile Search for other posts by UpstateMike

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: March 03 2006 at 14:18 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Mike,

Currently, you can use the PowerHome ph_comXXX functions. Check in the help file under Functions->COM Control. This will allow you to send text using a serial port as well as receive and trigger on it. I know others are using this for Caller ID support. You have to put together some formulas in PowerHome, but it's not too bad.

Ive got plans to make this easier very soon (won't make this next beta though). Im going to be making a new generic serial controller where you'll be able to send and receive serial data as well as trigger on it.

HTH,

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: March 03 2006 at 14:20 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

Actually,

If you do happen to put together some formulas that work with your Stargate and such, don't hesitate to send them on up to me. If I can, I'll put what you send into a controller type module and integrate it within PowerHome

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version