Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: Getting started - what’s needed Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
judetf

Online Status: Offline
Posted: January 23 2008 at 14:18 | IP Logged Quote judetf

Greetings, and apologies for the truly rookie question, but someone has to ask it, right? (And I have bothered to search and read and try to understand. I just don't want to make a mistake right off the bat.)

This past weekend I installed my very first Insteon devices: keypad and two switches (plus two access points).

Having read lots and lots over the last few days, I am convinced that I want to go the PowerHome route for configuration and control.

So, the question of the day is: what exactly do I need to purchase in addition to the PowerHome software? I am fairly certain that what is required is the Insteon PowerLinc Controller, Serial (part 2414S), but want to make sure.

I envision having a computer running all the time (although am curious about what happens to my lights if the computer is offline), so I don't think I need anything to interface the PH computer with the Insteon network other than the Serial controller. Is that correct? Are there alternatives (such as the USB controller) that somehow play nice with PowerHome, and if so how to choose? Is there an IP-based interface so that the computer can sit at my desk with only a network attachment, and communicate with an IP-based device that is permanently connected to the Insteon network?

And one final comment: I envision adding an Elk security system at some point in the semi-near future. I haven't yet perused the Elk forum I saw here but plan to do that next. Does the fact that I am going that route change my options, and offer a different interface possibility?

Again, apologies for the rookie questions, but I appreciate any beginners support.

jtf
Back to Top View judetf's Profile Search for other posts by judetf

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 23 2008 at 19:47 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Welcome!

Yes, you'll at least need the PowerLinc, either serial or USB (depends on your port situation).

Using PowerHome means that you need it to be running all the time. If it's not, you lose the fancy stuff, but basic control would still work since the links you set up are also stored in each device.

There is no Ethernet device that I know of. You may be able to use wireless USB or an Ethernet/RS232 adapter.

I don't have an Elk, but I have seen people that installed a second PowerLinc just for it (for flexibility).
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 23 2008 at 22:50 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Funny enough, here is one Ethernet/RS232 adapter sold by Elk.
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

judetf

Posted: January 24 2008 at 05:42 | IP Logged Quote judetf

Interesting, and thanks!

So with the Elk device I would, uh, still need the Insteon serial PowerLinc, and connect it to this Elk device, plug the Elk into my home network, and now my PowerHome computer will be able to see everything through the network?
Back to Top View judetf's Profile Search for other posts by judetf

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 24 2008 at 07:19 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

It looks like you may be able to use one serial PowerLinc with the adapter for PowerHome, the Elk, and still be able to make 10 other connections to it!

Check out this thread at CocoonTech.

jeffw_00
Super User
Super User

Posted: January 27 2008 at 19:07 | IP Logged Quote jeffw_00

judetf wrote:
Interesting, and thanks!

So with the Elk device I would, uh, still need the Insteon serial PowerLinc, and connect it to this Elk device, plug the Elk into my home network, and now my PowerHome computer will be able to see everything through the network?

Ethernet is the long way around. you need a PC to run powerhome. If that PC is less than 9 years old it has a USB port (and older, it has a serial port). so just buy the powerlinc (preferably USB) and connect it to your PC.   

Edited by jeffw_00 - January 27 2008 at 19:07
Back to Top View jeffw_00's Profile Search for other posts by jeffw_00

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 27 2008 at 20:02 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Heh. Serial devices won't fade away any time soon.

The only issue there is that he'd need a second PowerLinc (serial) for the Elk if he wanted to go that route.

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 27 2008 at 20:22 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

OK, I take that back. The IP/232 device is $143.

ginigma

Posted: January 28 2008 at 20:28 | IP Logged Quote ginigma

TonyNo wrote:
Heh. Serial devices won't fade away any time soon.

Yeah, but it's difficult find new laptops with serial ports!

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 28 2008 at 22:16 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

That's what USB/232 adapters are for!

cmhardwick

Posted: January 29 2008 at 08:31 | IP Logged Quote cmhardwick

Plus, with Serial, you don't have the DirectX conflict seen by lots of people with the USB version. If you don't do any gaming on the same PC as the PowerLinc, you probably won't have an issue.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version