Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
PowerHome General
 PowerHome Messageboard : PowerHome General
Subject Topic: Events not showing up in log Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mcable1004

Online Status: Offline
Posted: January 05 2008 at 12:56 | IP Logged Quote mcable1004

So I've got several switchlincs and a powerlinc controller (2414u). I'm able to turn on and off all of the lights using the Insteon Explorer in PowerHome. However, if I turn them on/off manually at the switch, the events don't show up in the logs.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt
Back to Top View mcable1004's Profile Search for other posts by mcable1004

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 05 2008 at 15:17 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

I think this means that you didn't link the switches to the controller.
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

mcable1004

Posted: January 06 2008 at 11:53 | IP Logged Quote mcable1004

Thanks Tony.

What's the best way to link the switches to the controller?

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 06 2008 at 16:41 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

The easiest way is in the Insteon Explorer. Go to the Links tab, select your PowerLinc in the Insteon Device ID drop-down, then from the left pane, grab your devices and drag them into the Controllers pane, then click Save.
Back to Top View TonyNo's Profile Search for other posts by TonyNo Visit TonyNo's Homepage

mcable1004

Posted: January 08 2008 at 21:57 | IP Logged Quote mcable1004

Thanks again Tony. I linked the switches to the controller as you mentioned. It looks like the links were created successfully. Here is a screen shot of my Links tab now:

But, I'm still not seeing anything in the logs when I press the SwitchLincs on/off. I can still control them through PowerHome, but it makes triggers pretty useless.

One thing I did notice - I have a ControlLinc setup to control 3 of the lights. When I use the ControlLinc, I see a message in the logs. Here is the latest from my logs:

I'm open to any suggestions

Thanks again!

Matt

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 08 2008 at 22:44 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Can you repost the pics? I can't make anything out.

If you have your PLC selected in the first one, the links need to be on top.

mcable1004

Posted: January 09 2008 at 08:23 | IP Logged Quote mcable1004

Sorry about the terrible pics, I was hoping they would show up better after adjusting the size.

I finally noticed what my problem was though, mostly due to your comment about the links being in the top section. On the Links tab, I had all of my devices listed as Responders to the PLC instead of Controllers. Guess my thinking was that the switches were normally be responding to the PLC when PH sent commands. But it makes sense that they need to be set as controllers since they are sending messages to the PLC as well.

Thanks again for your help. The events are being posted to the log now, and I was able to setup a trigger successfully.

cmhardwick

Posted: January 09 2008 at 08:44 | IP Logged Quote cmhardwick

mcable1004, they are in both sections normally. They are responders and controllers.

TonyNo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 09 2008 at 13:41 | IP Logged Quote TonyNo

Good news Matt!

dhoward
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: January 15 2008 at 15:34 | IP Logged Quote dhoward

A common misconception that alot of people make. When PowerHome directly controls an Insteon device, it is doing so using a "direct" command and so works without any links needing to be created. The PLC is about the *only* device that I know that uses this type of Insteon command. Devices themselves such as switchlincs and keypadlincs all communicate with "group" commands (which require links). When a switchlinc is manually controlled, it will attempt to send a group command (if it is linked as a "controller" of another device). If the switchlinc isnt linked to another device as a controller, no Insteon command is generated. If the switchlinc isnt meant to be a controller of any other device, a common technique is to just set it as a controller of the PLC itself. Since it now has a "controller" link, it will send a command when it is switched.

HTH,

Dave.
Back to Top View dhoward's Profile Search for other posts by dhoward Visit dhoward's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version